Bavaria fun in Bethnal Green at Oktoberfest East
- Credit: Archant
Behind an unassuming warehouse door lies an Oktoberfest extravaganza.
Alpine scenes and steins galore instantly transport you from Bethnal Green’s The Oval to Bavaria.
The all-important beer is brewed by none other than Munich powerhouse Hacker-Pschorr – which is the official Oktoberfest beer no less and exclusive to this festival.
Street food includes currywurst and schnitzel complete with the cheeky twist you’d expect from The Art of Dining. Mango ketchup is a mainstay and they even stock a savoury pretzel with beer cheese dip.
Live entertainment is provided by The Hackney Colliery Band, a nine piece ensemble who play everything from Kelis to Kanye and Adele. Our group found them a little too loud but there were plenty of people dancing.
You may also want to watch:
Postcards printed with quiz questions and drinking game ideas were a lovely touch and fostered the jovial atmosphere.
It’s the kind of place where everyone gets on board with the theme and you find yourself singing songs in German hours after you planned to leave.
- 1 Dagenham pop-up shop sees young people sell their products and share skills
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
- 4 380 homes and commercial space set to be built at Dagenham Dock
- 5 Dagenham advance in FA Cup with two late goals at Wealdstone
- 6 Jailed: Man who crashed stolen van then headbutted police officer
- 7 Ops planned as Barking and Dagenham marks London Trading Standards Week
- 8 Stephen Port inquests: Detective apologises to families for mistakes
- 9 Chain of 10,000 teddies to be displayed in memory of toddler Ava
- 10 'Life is hard, why make it harder?': Protesters call for new consultation over parking scheme roll out
Although prices are a little steep – entry alone costs £15, with “full package” tickets including a three-course meal and unlimited beer coming in at £75pp – it’s undoubtedly fun.
Oktoberfest East runs until Saturday. For more information, visit oktoberfest-east.com