Simon and Garfunkel tribute band coming to Barking
- Credit: Archant
Do you know the tale of one of the best-selling music groups of the 1960s? You can hear all about Simon and Garfunkel in Barking.
A Simon and Garfunkel Revival Band will be taking to the stage to tell the tale of the two best friends from New York at the Broadway Theatre tonight.
The group, who have been doing the show since 2008, have travelled across Germany, Holland, Belgium and many other destinations, but the inspiration to start the band came many years ago.
Band member, Michael Frank, said: “I learned guitar at a young age and started singing with friends from school - we then got to see a concert in the park in New York from Simon and Garfunkel.
“This concert was a great inspiration to us and where the idea came up to start the band.”
You may also want to watch:
The cast will be explaining that very story – from being 50s rock ‘n’ roll duo Tom & Jerry – and take a journey back in time through all the songs and stories that shaped them, including Mrs Robinson, Bridge Over Troubled Water and Homeward Bound.
“We try to interpret the songs in the most authentic way as the original duo.”
- 1 Drivers escape injury in Dagenham crash
- 2 Man, 20, found stabbed in Barking
- 3 Eid prayer recited outside Barking Town Hall as groups call for more worship spaces
- 4 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 5 Former east London police sergeant sentenced after pleading guilty to harassment
- 6 Antisocial behaviour patrols in Barking and Dagenham
- 7 'Love Island promo' spotted filming in Barking
- 8 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 9 'Singling out developers to sort out the cladding scandal'
- 10 Column: Pride and trust continues to grow in Dagenham squad
Michael also admitted there is many good memories from touring with the band and he even revealed it’s too “difficult” to pick a favourite song from his idols.
“There are so many on the road, but if we are satisfied with our concert performance and the reactions are positive, those are the most important,” he added.
“The concert is in the first place, then our experience with audience and the places we have visited.
“It’s difficult to say - Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel are such great musicians and songwriters, they wrote so many nice songs.
“Paul Simon wrote many timeless songs that we like and we’ve made an African version of Cecilia.”
The Simon and Garfunkel Story starts at 7.30pm on Friday. Tickets cost £17.50 to £19.50. For more information, call 020 8507 5607.